Human Resource Manager
Walla Walla, WA
1. Enter your information on the right of the screen to include days you're available and why you're interested in working for us.
2. Download and complete the BMHS Job Application. Save completed application, cover letter and resume as one file. (Separate files will not be accepted)
3. Click on the "Upload Resume" button on the right of the screen and upload your documents. Click "APPLY" button to submit.
4. If you're having trouble uploading your information, please click on, "Don't have one?" copy and paste your information into the text box and click "APPLY" button to submit.
5. No phone calls, please.
DEADLINE: October 2, 2020 with first review on September 25, 2020
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY ANNOUNCEMENT
Title: Human Resources Manager Effective Date: 09/01/2020
Department: Operations Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Schedule: Monday through Friday 8:30 am – 5:30 pm; one hour unpaid lunch break daily. Days off are Saturday and Sunday with occasional evening and weekend work required.
Pay Scale: $15.00 - $18.00 per hour, non-exempt, overtime eligible.
Job Summary: The main duties of the HR Manager are to support the financial and human resource functions of the BMHS including payroll processing, benefits administration, recruitment and on-boarding for new staff, accounts payable/accounts receivable and supporting the Board and working committees. The HR Manager will work as part of a team of staff and volunteers.
Supervised By: Director of Operations
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Treat all animals humanely both on and off the job. You are a representative of the BMHS even when you are not at work.
- Responsible for overseeing and coordinating the Human Resource functions of BMHS, including:
- Works with the Leadership Team and volunteers to ensure HR compliance.
- Oversees preparation of payroll and distribution of benefits for all BMHS Staff. Works with the Executive Director to ensure accurate payroll processing.
- Oversees the Paid Time Off schedule and request process for all BMHS staff. Coordinates with the Leadership Team, work-study students and volunteers to ensure an accurate and up-to-date employee schedule.
- Oversees scheduling of timely performance reviews and evaluations, including enrolling supervisors in their completion.
- Supports creation and maintenance of current job descriptions for all staff positions.
- Supports the Executive Director and/or Department Director with staff performance improvement plans, written or verbal warnings, and terminations.
- Serves as an ombudsman for staff relations. Responsible for maintaining an open/positive atmosphere to hear/respond to staff questions and concerns.
- Participates in all Human Resource aspects of employee recruitment/termination, including but not limited to the following:
- With direction from team Directors, creates job announcements, organizes resumes and job applicants. Works with appropriate staff members during the hiring process.
- Schedules interviews, assists with writing/selecting interview questions, and participates in the interview process.
- Ensures background and reference checks are completed.
- Assists in preparation of new employee files and orientation process including setting up workstation, email account, etc.
- Provides general orientation and training of new staff. Works with Leadership Team and volunteers to ensure effective hiring and on-boarding procedures.
- Engages Work Study students and volunteers in assisting with processes.
- Maintains and updates confidential employee files and personnel records, forms and files including:
- Maintains organization of compensation and benefit documents.
- Assists with the employer-sponsored Simple IRA plan, including enrollment, withholding and scheduled deposits to include accurate employer matching.
- Assists with the employer-sponsored health plan benefit, including employee enrollment, accurate withholding and timely premium payments.
- Assists with optional employee benefit plans, including processing enrollments, accurate withholding and timely premium payments.
- Performs quarterly file audits to ensure all required documentation is maintained.
- Engages Work Study students and volunteers in assisting with processes.
- Assists as needed with processing daily transactions and complete the deposit process, including entry into QuickBooks. Work directly with the Customer Service team on daily cash inquiries and issues. Ensure deposits are taken to the bank in a timely manner.
- Complete Accounts Payable tasks for all obligations received in paper format including entry into QuickBooks and file management. Complete entry of automatic or online recurring payments into QuickBooks. Assist in month-end reconciliation as needed.
- Oversee and maintain office filing (both electronic and hard copy filing systems) and organize year-end transfer of paperwork to long-term storage.
- Assist with Board and Committee meetings as needed, including but not limited to:
- Creates and distributes meeting notices, agendas and meeting packets. Communicates meeting details (including dates/times, reminders, updates, calendar invitations and RSVPs).
- Attends meetings; records and distributes minutes.
- Oversee set up and breakdown needs, including laptop, projection, screen and/or sound system.
- Attend and assist with Board and Committee meetings as needed. Compile and prepare data and reports as requested by the Board of Directors or Executive Director.
- Provide support and direction for Administrative and Office volunteers.
OTHER DUTIES / FUNCTIONS
- Serve as a role model and leader for volunteers at BMHS.
- Assist with fundraising and other annual events as needed.
- Assist with other duties assigned by the Executive Director, Director of Operations and/or Board of Directors.
- Assist with answering the telephone, take and deliver phone messages.
- Minimum of an Associates degree in Business (prefer a Bachelors) or related field, or commensurate experience.
- Ability to read, write and speak clearly in English.
- Basic understanding of accounting and proficient experience using QuickBooks.
- Good computer skills including word processing, database, and spreadsheet programs.
- Detailed oriented, accurate and dependable.
- Ability to juggle demands, prioritize, and follow through on tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and have a tactful, mature and sincere attitude.
- Ability to lift 25lbs or more.
- Willingness to develop and implement new processes and/or tasks.
- Ability to provide effective feedback.
- Active listening skills and/or crisis intervention experience.
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations related to personnel and employment laws.
- 2 years of progressive experience in Human Resources, Office Management, and/or bookkeeping. Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Familiarity with the operation of various office machines (printers/fax machines, multi-line telephones, etc.) is preferred.
- Indoors in air conditioned/heated office, outdoors at shelter or on-location for various activities.
- Includes the use of PC, various printers, copy machine, fax machine, multiple line telephone, digital camera, and credit card machine.
- Mostly week-day hours with some weekend hours pending training schedule, and outside shelter events.
- Regular exposure to a variety of companion animals and some exotic animals.
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees shall be required to follow any other job related duties required by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.
Please complete an Employment Application and add it to your resume and cover letter. Fillable application is available at https://bluemountainhumane.org/join-the-team/.