1. Enter your information on the right of the screen to include days you're available and why you're interested in working for us.
2. Download and complete the BMHS Job Application. Save completed application, cover letter and resume as one file. (Separate files will not be accepted)
3. Click on the "Upload Resume" button on the right of the screen and upload your documents. Click "APPLY" button to submit.
4. If you're having trouble uploading your information, please click on, "Don't have one?" copy and paste your information into the text box and click "APPLY" button to submit.
5. No phone calls, please.
DEADLINE: March 31, 2020 with first review on March 27, 2020
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY ANNOUNCEMENT
TITLE: Director of Business Operations
EFFECTIVE DATE: April 2020
DEPARTMENT: Business STATUS: Salary, exempt
PAY SCALE: $40,000 - $45,000 annually, DOE
SCHEDULE: Monday through Friday, 9:00 am – 6:00 pm with a one hour lunch from 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm
Days off are Saturday and Sunday with occasional evening and weekend work required.
JOB SUMMARY: The main duties of the Director of Business (DBO) are to provide vision, leadership, process and supervision of the Human Resource and financial functions of the BMHS, and oversight of the Business Office staff, ensuring that the BMHS achieves and maintains the highest standards for a professional and quality animal facility. It is strongly preferred that the candidate have direct experience working in a non-profit office environment, and have Human Resource experience. The DBO will work as part of a team of staff and volunteers.
This position is supervised by: Executive Director
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB INCLUDE:
· Treat all animals both on and off the job humanely. You are a representative of the BMHS even when you are not at work.
- Responsible for managing the daily business activities at BMHS by ensuring all business operations are running efficiently and smoothly, including assigning and monitoring clerical functions. Provide support for Business Office staff and Business Office volunteers, work-study students and interns, including oversight of training, development and evaluation. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for overseeing Human Resource functions of BMHS:
- Oversee the Paid Time Off request process and schedule for all BMHS staff. Works with the Business Office Coordinator, work-study students and volunteers to ensure an accurate and up-to-date employee schedule.
- Oversee new BMHS Staff by managing recruitment, selection, orientation and training of new staff. Works with Business Office Coordinator and volunteers to ensure effective hiring and onboarding procedures.
- Manage current staff by overseeing scheduling of performance reviews, evaluations, updating job descriptions and terminations. Works with Business Office Coordinator and volunteers to ensure HR compliance.
- Works with Executive Director and Business Office Coordinator to ensure updated personnel records, forms and files are kept.
- Responsible for leading the hiring process of all Business Office Staff and other HR functions for the Business Office including reviewing and approving Paid Time Off requests for Business Office staff, ensuring appropriate staffing coverage.
- Responsible for overseeing preparation of payroll and distribution of benefits for all BMHS Staff. Works with Business Office Coordinator to ensure accurate payroll processing.
- Responsible for developing, maintaining and annually reviewing/updating written Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for the Business Office, including how business records are maintained.
- Serves as an ombudsman for staff relations. Responsible for maintaining an open/positive atmosphere to hear/respond to staff questions and concerns.
- Responsible for in-house Business Office decisions and ensuring procedures are followed and completed accurately.
- Lead contact to resolve Customer Service issues, working with Executive Director, Director of Shelter Operations (DSO) and Director of Development as needed, includes final decision power on questionable adoption scenarios (responsibility shared with ED and DSO).
- Respond to requests and meetings over the phone, via email and walk in customers as needed.
- Responsible for managing the financial activities and reporting at BMHS including but not limited to the following:
- Work together with the Controller and Board Treasurer to prepare financials for the monthly Board meeting.
- Lead preparation, dissemination and communication surrounding the annual financial audit and/or review. Works with Executive Director, Treasurer and auditor during audit/review process.
- Oversee daily cash flow and monetary transactions. Works with the Customer Service Manager and the Operations Assistant to ensure highest levels of customer service through effective management of sales and revenues. Coaches and counsels Business Office staff, Customer Service Manager, Customer Service staff and Adoption staff to maintain a safe and clean shelter environment.
- Responsible for reviewing and oversight of accounts payable, including monthly reconciliations. Works with Business Office staff and volunteers to ensure timely entry and payment of bills. Lead contact for Accounts Payable Volunteer.
- Oversee and assist with the upkeep and maintenance of all record keeping systems specifically related to the vendors and customers in Quickbooks.
- Responsible for overseeing data entry for the Business Office. Works with Operations Assistant, Business Office Coordinator, Customer Service team and volunteers to create process for timely entry of data in PetPoint, including scheduled and systematic database reviews for duplicates and inaccuracies.
- Responsible for developing and annually updating filing systems and correspondence. Works with Business Office staff and volunteers to maintain an effective filing system of paper and electronic records.
- Responsible for overseeing the ordering and maintaining an inventory of supplies for all aspects of the Business Office and shelter. Works with Operations Assistant to develop inventory systems and management to ensure fiduciary responsibilities of BMHS resources.
- Responsible for overseeing the IT functions of BMHS. Works with the Business Office Coordinator and contract IT support to ensure the implementation and scheduled maintenance for technology at BMHS.
- Available as needed for special events such as the annual fundraiser, the Fall Furr Ball and unusual needs of the shelter.
OTHER DUTIES / FUNCTIONS:
- Serves as a role model and leader for volunteers at BMHS.
- Responsive to spontaneous education/BMHS mission explanation opportunities.
- Advisory authority for program development and implementation.
- Responsible for training staff and on-going staff training and development.
- Responsible for managing the quarterly Finance Committee meetings, and creating financial reports with Treasurer and Controller, as well as preparing the yearly budget.
- Responsible for oversight of our monthly reports including the “In Kind” donations report, submitting L&I and B&O taxes.
- Responsible for maintaining and creating new vendor relationships with businesses and organizations within and outside the Walla Walla Valley, as well as continuing positive inter-agency relationships, including local veterinarian clinics and animal welfare organizations.
- Oversee upkeep of State and National certificates and affiliations as needed for BMHS operations.
- Take an active role in planning and conducting regular Business Office staff meetings.
- Be committed to a proactive stance on public awareness and education about Animal Welfare and the BMHS mission.
- Maintain appearance and demeanor that is consistent with the image of the BMHS as a profession animal care facility.
o 5+ years in management or supervisory leadership role of a nonprofit, retail, or similar business.
o Demonstrated interest in, commitment to and understanding of mission-driven work and the nonprofit sector.
o Excellent interpersonal skills.
o Demonstrated ability to create, lead and inspire a team.
o Must be detail oriented, accurate, and dependable.
o Able to juggle demands, prioritize, and follow thru to timely completion.
o Excellent communication skills, (verbal/written), proven computer skills to include word processing, 10 key calculator, data programs, and the ability to use a digital camera.
o Must maintain a high level of confidentiality and have a tactful, mature, and sincere attitude.
o Desire for learning and mastery regarding presently required job skills as well as to enlarge the scope and professionalism of this position.
o Experience with PetPoint or similar database management strongly preferred.
o Active listening and crisis intervention experience is a plus.
· Education / Training
o Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Business, Human Resources or Nonprofit Management preferred. Commensurate experience considered.
o Must be able to read, write, and speak clearly in English so that written and verbal instructions can be followed.
o Experience and/or training in Finance, Accounting, and/or Human Resources is strongly preferred.
· Indoors in air conditioned/heated office, outdoors at shelter or on-location for various activities.
· Includes the use of PC, various printers, copy machine, fax machine, multiple line telephone, digital camera, and credit card machine.
· Mostly week-day hours with some weekend hours pending training schedule, and outside shelter events.
· Regular exposure to a variety of companion animals, pocket pets, and some exotic animals.
MENTAL, PHYSICAL AND COMMUNICATION DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Requires the ability to perform clerical tasks to input animal information.
· Requires patience and tact when working with difficult, emotional or angry people.
· Requires speaking and writing effectively and clearly in a professional manner.
· Requires clear verbal communication over the telephone and intercom to internal individuals.
· Requires treating people and animals in a pleasant, courteous, and professional manner.
· Requires ability to work in a team environment and to provide team leadership.
· Requires ability to lift a minimum of 60# and transport to the storage area.
· Demonstrates managerial skills, including interviewing, hiring, firing, and conflict resolution.
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees shall be required to follow any other job related duties required by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.