1. Enter your information on the right of the screen to include days you're available and why you're interested in working for us.
2. Download and complete the BMHS Job Application. Save completed application, cover letter and resume as one file. (Separate files will not be accepted)
3. Click on the "Upload Resume" button on the right of the screen and upload your documents. Click "APPLY" button to submit.
4. If you're having trouble uploading your information, please click on, "Don't have one?" copy and paste your information into the text box and click "APPLY" button to submit.
Open until filled, first review of applications August 21, 2020
Title: Donor Relations Manager Effective Date: 08/12/2020
Department: Development Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Schedule: Monday - Friday 8 am to 5 pm with a one hour lunch each day.
Pay Scale: $15.00 - $18.00 per hour, non-exempt, overtime eligible.
Job Summary: The main duties of the Donor Relations Manager are to provide fund development, comprehensive administrative and event support for the Development Department at BMHS. The Donor Relations Manager is responsible for developing and implementing engagement and fundraising strategies to enhance and support current and prospective donors. The Donor Relations Manager will work as part of a team of staff and volunteers.
Supervised By: Director of Development
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Treat all animals both on and off the job humanely. You are a representative of the BMHS even when you are not at work.
- Provides professional assistance, interaction and stewardship with all current and prospective donors/sponsors.
- Documents and implements a systematic and integrated approach to donor/sponsor relations. Preps materials for donor meetings, ensures accuracy and timeliness of account data input, works on acknowledgement and recognition of donors/sponsors. Coordinates and works with Work Study students, interns and volunteers, when applicable.
- Analyze donor giving patterns to increase donor giving and donor retention, upgrading and conversion rates. Assist in prospect research for new and existing individual and corporate donors. As appropriate, identify new opportunities for corporations and individuals that align with BMHS’ mission and vision statements.
- Maintain donor relationship management databases and/or CRM databases (Greater Giving, PetPoint and Volgistics). Record of donor contact instances, update contact information, compile biographical information, donation data entry, associations, memos and producing reports/queries. Works with Work Study students, interns and volunteers when applicable.
- Provides support when acknowledging appropriate monetary and in-kind donations. Takes lead in daily processing of Thank You and Acknowledgement letters for gifts and in-kind donations. Assists with gift entry in PetPoint and processing in-kind donations, as needed. Responsible for ensuring gifts are processed and thanked by mail or email within 48 hours of receiving the gift.
- Assist with Be a Sustaining Hero major giving program, as applicable.
- Works with Director of Development and Executive Director to create a development plan including year-round engagement strategies and events (i.e. digital and print Newsletters, kennel sponsorships and Year-End Appeal).
- Takes lead in event planning and implementation of fundraising events. This includes but is not limited to the following:
- Takes lead in organizing logistics for various BMHS annually recurring events including the: Dog Jog, Shelter Open House, Fall Furr Ball and Thanks for Giving donor event.
- Solicit in-kind donations for various events and sponsorships as needed. Coordinates and works with Work Study students, interns and volunteers, when applicable.
- Leads fundraising special events on and off-campus, providing engagement support as needed. Coordinates and works with Work Study students, interns and volunteers, when applicable.
- Takes lead in creating event donor/sponsor Thank Yous and other print and digital acknowledgements.
- Assists in creation of other marketing materials for events including, flyers and other leave behinds, logos, PowerPoint slides, auction displays and gift certificates.
- Assists with off-site BMHS staff and/or Board events, when applicable.
- Assists with after event financial reports, when applicable.
- Assist with maintaining inventory of general event supplies.
- o Collaborate with the Marketing & PR Coordinator in the creation and distribution of fundraising related marketing materials and content for BMHS. Maintain inventory of printed and digital donor communication materials and assist with ongoing communications with individual and corporate donors. Works closely with Work Study students, interns and volunteers, when applicable.
- Assists in coordinator of donor mailings, including digital and direct mail appeals.
- Attends Staff, Board and Committee related meetings as required. Including Support Staff Meetings, Board Meetings, Fundraising & Event and Donor & Membership Committee Meetings.
- Research grant opportunities for BMHS programs and services. Works with Director of Development, Director of Business and Executive Director on grant applications and follow-up reporting, as applicable.
- Assists with special events, group visits and/or group projects, as applicable. Gives tours of the shelter for group visits and special occasions/events upon request.
- Assist in creating opportunities for Work Study students, volunteers and interns to help in development efforts.
- Perform general clerical duties including photocopying, scanning, faxing and mailing. Maintain filing including electronic and hard copy filing systems.
- Answer incoming phone calls, taking clear and concise messages and transferring to the appropriate staff member.
- Serves as lead for Administrative Assistant and Event volunteers. Supervises volunteers to help with all Development Department efforts.
OTHER DUTIES / FUNCTIONS:
- Serve as a role model and leader for volunteers at BMHS.
- Maintain appearance and demeanor consistent with the image of the Blue Mountain Humane Society.
- Assist Executive Director and Business Office as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to convey a high degree of commitment and passion for the mission of BMHS.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office programs and basic computer skills.
- Have exceptional understanding of philanthropy as it relates to a non-profit organization.
- Must be detail oriented, accurate, and dependable.
- Able to manage demands, prioritize, and follow thru to timely completion for projects, daily and weekly tasks.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal/written with a diverse range of audiences.
- Must have a tactful, mature, and sincere attitude.
- Must be trustworthy for the purpose of handling confidential documents and able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Previous experience event management, non-profit fundraiser events preferred.
- Knowledge of fundraising fundamentals and donor relations programs preferred.
- Prior experience with database management preferred.
- Familiarity with InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, PicMonkey.com and/or other design application/programs preferred.
- Desire for learning and mastery regarding presently required job skills as well as to enlarge the scope and professionalism of this position.
Education / Training
- College graduate preferred, with a Marketing, PR or Communications major/minor.
- High School diploma or equivalent required, along with the ability to read, write, and speak clearly in English so that written and verbal instructions can be followed.
- Active listening and crisis intervention experience is a plus.
- Indoors in air conditioned/heated office, outdoors at shelter or on-location for various activities.
- Includes the use of PC, various printers, copy/fax machine, mail machine, and multiple line telephone.
- Weekday hours with some weekend hours required for off-site fundraising events.
- Regular exposure to a variety of companion animals, pocket pets and some exotic animals.
MENTAL, PHYSICAL AND COMMUNICATION DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires working alone or with others at the shelter.
- Requires a strong attention to detail and the commitment to make sure that the finished product/data entry is error free.
- Requires the ability be self-motivated and to prioritize daily and weekly tasks.
- Requires the ability to sit for long periods of time while doing repetitive, clerical tasks.
- Requires speaking and writing effectively and clearly in a professional manner.
- Requires clear verbal communication over the telephone and intercom to internal individuals.
- Requires treating people and animals in a pleasant, courteous, and professional manner.
- Requires ability to work in a team environment and to provide team leadership.
- May require patience and tact when working with difficult, emotional or angry people.
- Requires ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. and transport to the storage area.
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees shall be required to follow any other job related duties required by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.