TITLE: Surgery Assistant EFFECTIVE DATE: June, 2020
STATUS: Full-time, non-exempt, 32 hours per week, Monday through Friday 9 am - 4 pm with a 30 minute unpaid lunch break.
SALARY: $14.00 - $16.75 per hour, non-exempt, overtime eligible.
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for assisting the Surgery Manager in delivering treatment plans to animals under the direction of the Veterinarian. Responsible for assisting Veterinarian with sedation, monitoring, prep, and recovery of animals scheduled for surgery, and entering medical data accurately into animals’ medical records. Responsible for ensuring that pets scheduled for surgery are marked accordingly and have their food removed at least 12 hours prior to surgery.
This position is supervised by: Shelter Veterinarian
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB INCLUDE:
· Treat all animals both on and off the job humanely. You are a representative of the BMHS even when you are not at work.
· Assist with the sedation of all animals scheduled for surgery with either intramuscular or subcutaneous injection as directed.
· Ensure that all dogs scheduled for surgery are taken outside to go to the bathroom.
· Assist with delivery of surgery patients to the surgical suite.
· Assist with the delivery of anesthetic to dogs by providing restraint for or administering intravenous injections, placement of endotracheal tubes, and monitoring of anesthesia throughout surgery.
· Assist with the surgical prep of animals to include shaving, scrubbing, and the emptying of bladders.
· Assist with vaccinations, micro-chipping, nail trimming, and tattoos.
· Clean and sterilize all surgical instruments. Operate and maintain the autoclave.
· Assist with surgical recovery of pets, including extubating and administration of pain medication orally or subcutaneously as directed.
· Review medical data related to medical care, tests, vaccinations or other procedures in the animal’s electronic record to ensure accuracy.
· Return animals to their kennel as directed and securing the appropriate signage (ACM to move, shy, on meds, etc.) to their kennel. Continue to monitor pets throughout the day as directed.
· Enter medical data into the electronic record after surgery is completed and animals are stable, to include printing of new kennel cards and Rabies certificates.
· Ensure that all dogs are receiving a Rabies tag and that the Rabies certificate is signed.
· Clean the surgery room once surgical procedures are done for the day, including starting laundry, sweeping, mopping, emptying all garbage, cleaning and sterilizing surgical instruments in the autoclave, and ensuring that the oxygen and anesthetic is turned off and the system is flushed appropriately.
· Follow the Standard Operating Procedures related to vaccination, medication, deworming, micro-chipping and all other medical protocols under the direction of the staff veterinarian.
OTHER DUTIES / FUNCTIONS:
· Monitor safety compliance of staff and volunteers.
· Participate in meetings with kennel and administrative staff to review procedures, discuss workplace issues, and share ideas to improve animal care.
· Actively seek to further animal health knowledge.
· Responsible for preventing unnecessary surgery by identifying evidence of prior sterilization (identifying spay scars, etc.)
· Responsible for identifying and accurately marking animals scheduled for surgery and other care.
· Responsible for ensuring animals remain presentable. Providing grooming under anesthesia when necessary.
· Responsible for the feeding, watering, and giving a litter box at the end of surgery if they are awake.
· Make sure that dogs 6 months and older are wearing a collar.
o Must be detail oriented, able to focus for extended periods of time, accurate, and dependable.
o Ability to juggle demands, prioritize, and follow through to a timely completion.
o Good communication skills (verbal/written), excellent computer skills to include word processing, 10 key calculator, data programs, and the ability to use a digital camera.
o Able to maintain a high level of confidentiality and have a tactful, mature, and sincere attitude.
o Desire for learning and mastery regarding presently required job skills as well as to enlarge the scope and professionalism of this position.
· Education / Training
o Must be a High School graduate or G.E.D., or working toward such, and be able to read, write, and speak clearly in English so that written and verbal instructions can be followed.
· Indoors in air conditioned/heated office, outdoors at shelter or on-location for various activities.
· Includes the use of PC, various printers, copy machine, fax machine, multiple line telephone, digital camera, and credit card machine.
· Mostly weekday hours with some weekend hours pending training schedule, and outside shelter events.
· Regular exposure to a variety of companion animals, pocket pets, and some exotic animals.
MENTAL, PHYSICAL AND COMMUNICATION DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Knowledge in animal health and well being to include nutrition needs, resources for information, knowledge of common animal diseases, skilled in animal first aid and CPR, experience administering vaccinations and medications.
· Willingness to assist in humane euthanasia of animals as required.
· Requires the ability to perform clerical tasks to input animal information.
· Requires speaking and writing effectively and clearly in a professional manner.
· Requires clear verbal communication over the telephone and intercom to internal individuals.
· Requires treating people and animals in a pleasant, courteous, and professional manner.
· Requires ability to work in a team environment.
· Requires ability to lift a minimum of 50lbs and transport to the storage area.
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees shall be required to follow any other job related duties required by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.