Pistils Nursery is seeking a friendly, team-oriented, creative, Retail Team Member who is equally passionate about plants, hard work and outstanding customer service. Self-driven and outgoing, members of our retail team love connecting with like-minded plant enthusiasts, as well as patiently teaching those new to plants about everything Pistils Nursery has to offer.
Pistils Nursery is committed to creating an inclusive and welcoming environment for all people. Black, Indigenous, People of Color and LGBTQ+ individuals are encouraged to apply. Ideal candidates have a love for fast paced service environments, are highly self-motivated and have the ability to maintain a positive, resilient attitude in the face of growth and change.
We will be accepting applications until 5pm PST on 7/31
• Greets customers and engages with them in a positive, welcoming manner. Provides exemplary customer service create an inclusive and safe environment for all guests
• Assists customers by helping them select products that are appropriate for their environment (i.e light level, maintenance, etc)
• Drives sales by sharing product information and utilizing cross-selling and up-selling techniques; Stives to meet daily sales goals
• Informs customers of sales, promotions, rewards programs, etc.
• Learns and adheres to business policies and procedures
• Becomes well versed in the Pistils aesthetic, products and inventory
• Strives to achieve daily sales goals in cooperation with other Retail Team Members
• Assists with daily tasks; cleaning, organizing, plant maintenance as directed by Manager
• Assists in receiving, pricing and merchandising products as needed
• Assists in maintaining yard and attending to chickens (for Flagship location)
• Processes payments utilizing iPad-based POS system
• Performs additional tasks as requested (may include but not limited to cleaning, sign making, plant maintenance, window display, etc.)
• 2 years experience in Customer Service/Sales
• A team player with a friendly disposition and good communication skills
• Knowledge of plants and products and a willingness to learn
• Ability to lift 50 lbs; comfortable moving large plant material/pottery and using hand truck
• Computer experience and comfort with iPad POS system, Google Drive, Slack, etc.
• Willing to work outdoors in all types of weather (Flagship location)
• Comfortable climbing ladders
• Dependable, reliable, punctual
• General math skills
• Highschool Diploma
• Ability to work at both locations (Slabtown & North Portland)
• Excitement to work in a growing business environment with the potential for frequent changes and at times ambiguity
This position is based at both our Flagship store on N Mississippi Avenue and our Slabtown store on NW Raleigh street, and may require occasional work at our North Portland warehouse location. This position reports to the Director of Operations.
This is a part time position with an expected 20-28 hours per week. Candidates must be available to work weekends. Additional hours may become available as the stores continue to reopen.
Pistils Nursery does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.
We believe that plants are transformative. In a world full of distractions, they keep us grounded, reminding us how we must tend to ourselves and to others.
Founded in 2001, Pistils is more than a nursery. We’re an experience. Our brick and mortar stores in Portland, Oregon, are conservatory-style oases that invite visitors to linger and to learn. Each package we ship from our online marketplace contains this same spirit. Above all, we bring passion, expertise and attentive care to each interaction.
Our Core Values
Educate, Exchange, Enrich: The sharing of knowledge and ideas drives and informs our team and business. We are all – customers and staff alike – teachers and students, brought together by a shared passion for plants and love of the natural world.
Plants Are Our Medium: We see the creative use of plants as an art form. Pistils is a collaborative, constantly evolving expression of the creativity of our team – nothing makes us happier than when our customers find inspiration to bring something green into their lives.
Cultivate Engagement: We believe in fostering personal growth that our team can take beyond the walls of our shop. Staff are encouraged to use Pistils as an environment to explore and develop their talents and enhance their lives.
A Sanctuary of Green: Pistils is not just a nursery; it’s a refuge. Whether folks leave with a plant, a new idea, or just a memory, we want the experience to be one that is joyous and transformative.
Community Consciousness: The roles we play in our community, our environment and the world at large are defined by the decisions we make as individuals and as a business. We are committed to environmental and social justice.
Be Approachable, Inclusive and Accessible: We strive for warm, authentic customer service that makes people feel at home. It’s our goal that each visitor is treated with dignity and leaves with the desire to share their experience with others.
A Team Based on Trust: A culture of trust is created by showing up, pulling your weight, asking for help and giving it when asked. We recognize each other's strengths, and believe that by working together we achieve more than we could as individuals.