Pistils Nursery is seeking a seasoned eCommerce professional to lead our growing eCommerce division. The eCommerce Manager is a brand new position, responsible for the daily operations of all areas of the department, while working closely with the Director of eCommerce to move the department toward its short and long-term goals.
A driver of innovation, the eCommerce Manager is a data-driven thinker who uses their ability to understand Key Performance Indicators to make informed decisions about policies, procedures and growth. Excited to jump into any and all areas of operations, this position entails regular order fulfillment, customer service and inventory management. The eCommerce Manager truly enjoys managing a team, is passionate about helping others, and is a strong advocate for the needs of the business and the team.
Pistils Nursery is committed to creating an inclusive and welcoming environment for all people. Black, Indigenous, People of Color and LGBTQ+ individuals are encouraged to apply. Ideal candidates have a love for fast paced environments, are highly self-motivated and have the ability to maintain a positive, resilient attitude in the face of growth and change.
- Manages all aspects of order fulfillment cycle, including setting best practices and owning mitigation of shipping costs by continually innovating packing processes/materials, combining orders, negotiating carrier rates, etc.
- Collaborates with team to create shipping protocols for new products as they are introduced; trains team members
- Ensures each package effectively communicates brand message to customers; ensures team follows our strict standards of quality control
- Collaborates with eCommerce Director to set short-term and long-term goals for the department, its operations and expansion; works to ensure these goals are met.
- In-depth understanding of Key Performance Indicators and how to positively affect them; regularly reviews and analyzes data; synthesizes into trends and regularly reports findings and suggestions
- Develops existing sales channels to drive growth; furthers projects on growth roadmap; makes suggestions and improvements to website user experience
- Owns web shop inventory management, including product order requests, receiving stock, cycle counts and reconciliation; works with Buying Team to forecast inventory needs.
- Provides exemplary customer support, representing the brand to customers by fielding and responding to inbound customer communications, solving customer problems or concerns and working towards 100% customer satisfaction, retention, and referrals
- Cultivates a positive team dynamic that encourages all employees to provide feedback and drive change from within, adapt to the ever-changing business, and stay focused on the customer experience.
- Directly supervises employees in the Fulfillment department. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Bachelors degree in relevant field (business, administration, communications etc) and/or 2-3+ years of experience in eCommerce, preferably at a start-up or fast-growing digital retailer
- 2+ years years of management experience of small-medium teams
- Expert in eCommerce and fulfillment platforms, Shopify and Shipstation preferred
- Plant knowledge strongly preferred; genuine interest and eagerness to learn required
- Analytical thinker with strong reasoning and math skills
- Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
- Natural desire to provide excellent, on-brand, hands-on customer service
- Specialized computer skills: must be adept at using various applications including database, spreadsheet, report writing, project management, graphics, word processing, presentation creation/editing, communicate by e-mail and use scheduling software
- Strongly self-motivated while also thriving on collaboration
- Detail and process-oriented. Excellent organizational skills
- Excitement to work in a growing business environment with potential for frequent changes and ambiguity
The eCommerce Manager is based at our North Portland warehouse location. This position reports to the Director of Marketing and eCommerce.
This is a full time time, FLSA exempt position, which may entail occasional evening and weekend hours.
Benefits include paid vacation and paid holidays, as well as opportunity to opt into Pistils' health insurance and 401k plans
To apply, please submit your resume, answers to the screener questions, and a cover letter detailing your interest in working at Pistils Nursery and what you would bring to the team. You may copy/paste your cover letter into the "Cover Letter" field, OR include your cover letter in the same document as your resume (preferred). Please note, you are only able to upload one document with your application, so be sure to group your resume and cover letter.
We will be accepting applications until Tuesday, 8/17 and encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.
Pistils Nursery is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
We believe that plants are transformative. In a world full of distractions, they keep us grounded, reminding us how we must tend to ourselves and to others.
Founded in 2001, Pistils is more than a nursery. We’re an experience. Our brick and mortar stores in Portland, Oregon, are conservatory-style oases that invite visitors to linger and to learn. Each package we ship from our online marketplace contains this same spirit. Above all, we bring passion, expertise and attentive care to each interaction.
Our Core Values
Educate, Exchange, Enrich: The sharing of knowledge and ideas drives and informs our team and business. We are all – customers and staff alike – teachers and students, brought together by a shared passion for plants and love of the natural world.
Plants Are Our Medium: We see the creative use of plants as an art form. Pistils is a collaborative, constantly evolving expression of the creativity of our team – nothing makes us happier than when our customers find inspiration to bring something green into their lives.
Cultivate Engagement: We believe in fostering personal growth that our team can take beyond the walls of our shop. Staff are encouraged to use Pistils as an environment to explore and develop their talents and enhance their lives.
A Sanctuary of Green: Pistils is not just a nursery; it’s a refuge. Whether folks leave with a plant, a new idea, or just a memory, we want the experience to be one that is joyous and transformative.
Community Consciousness: The roles we play in our community, our environment and the world at large are defined by the decisions we make as individuals and as a business. We are committed to environmental and social justice.
Be Approachable, Inclusive and Accessible: We strive for warm, authentic customer service that makes people feel at home. It’s our goal that each visitor is treated with dignity and leaves with the desire to share their experience with others.
A Team Based on Trust: A culture of trust is created by showing up, pulling your weight, asking for help and giving it when asked. We recognize each other's strengths, and believe that by working together we achieve more than we could as individuals.